• 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon table salt
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
• 1/3 cup whole
• 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 1/2 cup roasted chopped walnuts (bake on cookie sheet at 350 for 10 minutes)
Preheat your oven to 425° and set a rack to the middle position. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt until combined. Using a pastry cutter or fork, work in the butter until it forms pea-sized bits; then use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour, creating a blend of powder, flakes, and some remaining small lumps of butter. Add candied fruit, cranberries, raisins and walnuts. Pour in the syrup and milk, stir well with a fork. If needed, add another tablespoon or two of syrup to form a dough.
Turn the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, press into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 equal wedges (no need to separate them). Bake until puffed and golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes.